6 Benefits of Buying Second Hand Furniture
There’s really something to be said about buying second-hand furniture besides saving some money. The benefits go well beyond the joy of the hunt for your favourite pieces. You can often get a piece of furniture at a fraction of the cost of what you would spend new, and you may not even notice the difference, especially on items that take little wear and tear such as bookcases, display cabinets and hardwood furniture made from teak wood, oak and maple.
Here’s why you should consider going the thrifty route when you need something for your home, rather than hitting up a new furniture store.
- Savings. The most obvious benefit of shopping for second-hand items is the reduced cost and this is usually the most enticing aspect.
- Eco-Friendly. When you buy used, you’re helping our beloved planet by becoming part of a larger effort to eliminate furniture from landfills. Rather than letting something go to waste, when you buy, sell or donate used furniture, someone else may be able to reuse or repurpose your furniture. This helps keep natural resources in the natural use of their life cycle and reduce landfill waste.
- It can be high quality and timeless items. Because a piece of furniture is second-hand, it has already survived the test of time. Really good furniture should last for decades, even a century or more.
- It is healthier. Second-hand furniture doesn’t emit noxious off-gas in your home. Cheap new furniture is often made of particle board and formaldehyde-treated composite woods, a recognized carcinogen that causes eye and nose irritation.
- Uniqueness. Who doesn’t like to have unique furniture in their homes? If you do not want to have a couch in your living room that looks exactly like your neighbours’ and friends’ couch, shopping for used furniture provides an exciting opportunity to find a very rare piece.
- It comes assembled.If you’re someone who simply hates assembling furniture bought from Ikea or online furniture stores, you will not have to worry about how to put together your second-hand purchase! Think of the time and frustration you’ll save!
Finding someone to transport your second-hand furniture to you can often be a hassle due to the size of the items. Browsing the web pages and asking around for the right furniture shipping company for you can be time consuming. At Shiply, there are hundreds of rated furniture movers who are ready to quote on your job, often at rates up to 75% cheaper than usual. All you have to do is to enter a few simple details about your second-hand furniture and hundreds of rated shipping companies will send you quotes, often up to 75% cheaper than usual. Thus, you can try comparing rates to see how much you could save and select the one that offers the best deals that meet your requirements.
If you’re looking for timeless pieces that are built to last, browse the internet to find beautiful used furniture and get them shipped to you by Shiply.